Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Mutts are People Too

This is sort of a follow up to my entry entitled Put the Children First, only this time it deals with pets.

My Ex invited me to visit the other day and see the new puppy he had given his boyfriend for Christmas. It was a beautiful Boston Terrier that was just delightful and fun. But I was surprised that my ex would spend that kind of money on a pure breed dog. Back when we were together we always considered rescuing a dog that was homeless instead - or maybe that was just me.

Pure Breed dogs are wonderful and I have nothing against them. My only point is that there are so many pets in shelters every day that are put to sleep for lack of homes. I wish more people would consider adopting one of these animals rather than paying big money for the pure breed animal.

I'm proud to say that in my adult life I have rescued 3 mixed breed dogs who have been wonderful companions that I wouldn't have traded for the world. Thankfully even gay folk can legally adopt a pet!

No comments: