Monday, January 23, 2006

Humans as Microbes

Did you ever notice that it doesn't matter if you are using a telescope, or a microscope you can see nearly the same thing? At the atomic level you see electrons rotating around a nucleus which are rotating around even smaller particles. In space we see moons rotating around planets rotating around stars rotating around black holes etc.

As a child looking into the dark sky of South Dakota I was amazed to be able to see our own Milky Way galaxy overhead. I couldn't imagine there were so many objects in space! In my adult life I've learned that our galaxy is only one of millions of other galaxies that are rotating around their centers and around other objects.

It seems the further we can look out into space the more there is to discover! Will we ever see to the end of it? I doubt we ever will. But the idea of the similarity between really tiny objects and ever increasing larger objects make me think that it could be possible that the earth might be only a part of a much larger object - like an atom is part of a larger object. Maybe all those galaxies are really something like electrons providing energy to this larger object.

It's really mind boggling to think in this manner, but it occurs to me that the "big picture" might be way bigger than we typically think. I only hope that when we die we get all the answers to these questions. And I also hope we are part of something really cool. But then that cool thing will probably only be part of something else.

Headache.

No comments: