Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Scrubs

Almost any clinic you go to you will find the staff dressed in uniform scrubs. They look neat and clean and give the impression that everything is sanitary and professional. I've always had the mental image that all these folks went through a "George Jetson" type decontamination process each morning that ended with those tidy scrubs being applied without them even being touched by human hands. So you can imagine my frustration when I see scrubs in the grocery store, tables full of scrubs in the restaurant at noon, scrubs at the gym and even folks in scrubs walking the dog picking up a bag of poop in a tidy little bag. The magic of the scrubs has been lost. And now I tend to look closely at those scrubs that are in the clinic. I notice little stains, the occasional loose hair, the smell of cologne or even ground in dirt that didn't come out in the last home wash. Then I look around at the floor and I'm guessing that wasn't automatically steam cleaned just before I arrived either. Ignorance is bliss they say. I am by no means a germaphobe, but I think I was happier when I imagined scrubs where only worn once and destroyed by incineration.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe there are serious concerns about scrubs being worn outside of the hospital. Think about how many people get sick or die from life threatening infections from their hospital stays. I know my step-Dad was a victim of infection when he had surgery a decade ago. I think I've read that some hospitals are requesting that their employees NOT wear their scrubs outside of the hospital and I hope that it catches on.
Cheers,
Lisa

Thohea said...

I don't want no scrub.