Monday, March 29, 2010

Tune the 90's

If you listen to any modern urban type music, you have likely heard the Auto Tune microphone. It is a clever device and it does seem to have a particular application in that Genre, but it also is starting to get on my nerves a bit. Every track seems to use it now- some better than others. I think it takes the art out of music. If you can't carry a tune - you probably shouldn't be singing.

That reminds me of the 90's I wish I had a time machine that would allow me to go back and apply the Auto Tune microphone to those awful "Freestyle" songs that were popular back then. Such a device was badly needed. We have a dance station here that plays a lot of those old freestyle songs and I still cringe at the "almost in tune" droning of that genre. I have a friend who loves those tracks and I joke with him about it all the time. He also has experience in mixing music. Maybe I should challenge him to apply the auto tune and see if we can fix the 90's. It might be a fun project for him.

5 comments:

Thohea said...

Finally, a subject in which I have some expertise!

"Freestyle" emerged out of the New York latin community in the early '80's and is actually cut from the same cloth as hip hop - Think "Planet Rock" and "Play at Your Own Risk". It later became popular in South Florida in the mid-to-late '80's.

I'd venture to say that you love some freestyle songs and don't even know it. "Let the Music Play" and "Give Me Tonight" by Shannon are probably the most mainstream freestyle songs to hit radio. Information Society, Expose, Paula Abdul and even early, early Madonna are considered freestyle.

I totally agree with you on the almost in tune part except for the notable exceptions above, but I also think that's part of freestyle's charm.

You know me and my love of the '90's though. Get me a hot tub time machine...STAT!

denbec said...

Andre - what do you think? LOL

denbec said...

I actually do like some of those tracks. "Dream Girl" was one of my favorites at the time - and I agree there are songs in the freestyle genre that are so mainstream you don't even realize it. Much like some Hip Hop songs of today are actually considered Pop.

Andre said...

Well, as usual, Thohea has no idea what the hell he is talking about...EVERYBODY KNOWS that "Freestyle" is part of the sinister plot by the International Left to undermine the moral backbone of Western Capitalism in preparation of the imminent Obama communist coup....duh!

Thohea said...

Now THAT'S funny! LOL