Tuesday, March 09, 2010

2D Plus Glasses

I was thrilled when I learned that 3D TVs were arriving soon. Now I can watch those fantastic 3D movies in my own home without the chit chat, cell phones and babies crying. But then I found out that we will still need to wear 3D glasses to view these new expensive TV sets. What?? Where is the technology in that?!

There is, of course, technology involved in filming or broadcasting a 3D program as you need to get 2 pictures of the same thing - just like our eyes see 2 pictures. But when they play a 3D movie in the theater they don't replace the screen with a new 3D enabled screen - they show a flat picture, just like always, and the 3D glasses bring the 2 images together.

It stands to reason then that if you have a program recorded in 3D, it should be able to be viewed on any normal TV as well. All you should really need is the 3D glasses to bring the 2 images together. If we could view the 3D effect without the glasses then I might be willing to pay $1500 for such a device. In reality, all that should be needed is a $10 pair of glasses. I think they are pulling the wool over our eyes PLUS making us wear 3D glasses and I'm not buying it (yet).

It is the same fake technology they have been selling with respect to digital recorded media for years. There really hasn't been any new innovation in digital media since the basic CD player came out to the public. When DVD's arrived they were selling for hundreds more than a CD - but it was still the same technology (lasers reading optical disks). Ditto for Blue Ray. True they found a way to put more information on the disk with multiple layers etc., but it is still the same concept and not worth the extravagant price. And by the way, all of these optical disks have a glaring flaw that still hasn't been addressed - the fact that a tiny smudge or scratch can make them completely useless. Why do we still make digital media that spins? Clearly, flash memory should be the standard by now - it is much better technology. I'm sure it will be next - at an expensive price - even though it already exists for computers.

Hopefully the REAL 3D TV that I eventually purchase will have a built in USB port and I'll be able to watch Avatar in 3D - without glasses - by simply plugging in the flash drive. And I'll be able to carry a pocket full of flash drives as I travel with my 3D computer as well.

No comments: