Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Late Adopter

Until recently, I've always been on the bleeding edge of technology. I love tech gadgets especially those that will do several things at once, like smart phones. I was on a waiting list for the Treo 600 when it came out and was thrilled with the device even with a few bugs that needed to be worked out. I've upgraded several times and currently own a Treo 755p. You might ask why someone like me still owns a Treo? While there are several answers, (It still works, contracts, prices etc.) the biggest reason is that I still refuse to do business with AT&T if at all possible.

You can't imagine how disappointed I was when the I-phone came out firmly attached to AT&T. In all honesty, my Treo did (and still does) almost everything the I-phone does. But the I-phone is the type of thing geeks like me dream about - fresh, new and exciting. But I decided my objection to AT&T was more important. Today I read that the exclusive deal between Apple and AT&T may be up and the I-phone may be available on other networks soon. And even though there was a hint that it might also include the newest version of the I-phone, I'm not sure I even want one any more. The poison Apple left a bad taste and I'm also rethinking my decision to possibly buy a MAC as my next computer.

Besides - everyone has an I-phone now, not so cool anymore for us geek types. I've held out this long and there are a lot of new technologies just around the corner. My Treo is still working great and I'm still satisfied with my Sprint service. I don't have a contract right now and I'm ready for the next big thing. Unless that thing is attached to AT&T.

1 comment:

Thohea said...

What's an iphone?