Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Balance

In the movie Avatar the planet natives have an unusual physical connection to the creatures they use for transportation. This allows a mental connection to the creature who in turn responds to their very thoughts. I know it sounds odd, but sometimes I feel like I have this same type of connection to my bicycle – as if it becomes a part of me as I ride. This was especially true on my recent bicycle trip across the USA. That feeling of connection is amplified when your entire life at the moment is loaded on the bicycle as well. At first it seems very foreign and difficult to control. But when you get used to the way the bicycle handles with all the extra weight, it becomes a natural extension of yourself. When camp is set up and all the weight is removed from the bike, it again feels foreign for a few moments while you adjust. I’m sure people had a good chuckle watching me go out for dinner wobbling on my bike like a child riding for the first time. But soon I found the balance again.


Because of my bicycle trip, the movie Avatar had a very profound and lasting effect on me. I grew up in rural America but I only knew my little part. I’ve had jobs where I traveled throughout the USA, but I rarely strayed from the Interstate Highway system. This trip was much different as I traveled on back roads and converted railroad lines that were turned into bicycle paths. Many times I found myself captivated by the diversity and beauty of this amazing country. I found myself riding in places not too disturbed by human activity. It was as magical and “other worldly” as the scenery in Avatar and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised that the local natives were also friendly, if not a bit cautious.


We live in a very special place and sadly few people get a chance to see it the way I did. There is great beauty in our National Parks but don’t expect it to be undisturbed. I found the National Parks jammed to the limit with giant RV buses and too many people trying to see the same thing at once. The deafening noise from Harley Davidson motorcycles often drowned out the sound of the birds and the gentle waterfalls. It wasn’t until I was off the beaten path that I could enjoy nature in all her glory. The sights, sounds, and smells were something I will never forget. I hope more people get a chance to view the world without a motor. Those that do will soon realize our coexistence with Nature is fragile and we must do whatever we can to keep the balance.


Balancing a planet loaded with people is much like balancing a loaded bicycle. It takes a little practice but you get used to it. We must find the balance or we will fall. If we fall the planet will wobble, adjust and find balance again – unloaded.

No comments: