Wednesday, October 03, 2007

The "N" Word Is't Nice

The big debate in the music business right now is weather Hip Hop artists should be allowed to use the “N” word in their songs. It is a very interesting debate because it makes us seriously examine our American right to free speech.

I have been a huge fan of Hip Hop music for years now. I own and play (sometimes loudly) the uncensored versions of music with profanity and even the “N” word so it is a relevant topic for me. I can agree (or disagree) with both sides of this topic. I understand the concept of using a word that has been used in hate in such a way that it loses its power. We in the gay community have done so with the “F” word (the other one). But I also understand that many people have fought long and hard to rise above the hatred that originally gave the word its power. I believe they are correct in saying we should stop using it all together. There are also those that say it is wrong to subject small children to these hurtful words - and that is also a good point.

I believe censorship is rarely a good idea – especially for artists. But there may be way to somewhat censor without curbing creativity. Here is my suggestion. The entertainment industry is all about awards and award shows. What if we say your song will not be eligible for a public award if it uses “that” word in any version. I think a lot of artists would think twice if they knew their efforts would not be recognized if they choose to use offensive language. Again, it is censorship (which I am against) but it might work at least a little.

I say “in any version” of the song because I have to admit – I am tired of listening to radio edits of songs with half the lyrics either beeped or worse, just cut out. To me – that is more offensive than the words themselves.

No comments: