Monday, October 08, 2007

Magic Science

There are some things we use in our daily lives that, while I understand how they work, I just don't understand HOW they work. Maybe a couple of examples will clear that sentence up a bit.

Microwave ovens are one of these great mysteries. I know the concept of the thing, but it still amazes me. You put the food in, push some buttons, a fan runs and the food gets hot -even though the oven doesn't get hot and neither does the plate! But I think the bigger mystery here is that it never works right for bread. Everything else - fine, but bread - it practically changes form. But I digress.

Another thing that seems a mystery to me is even more simple - Sunscreen. The suns rays come all this way - billions of miles and if I put a tiny layer of cream on my skin it blocks the harmful rays that would burn me horribly otherwise. You can't even see it!

Those huge airliners getting off the ground - incredible. But somehow that concept makes sense to me. Sunscreen and Microwaves though, that has to be some form of magic.

No comments: