Tuesday, April 26, 2011

She's A Lady

I'm finding it so interesting having a female dog for the first time. I've had 4 canine companions in my adult life - all rescue dogs and all male except for my current one Loretta. Even though Loretta is a devoted hunter of all things moving, can get dirty from top to bottom without a thought and has a strong forbidding bark to any stranger that dare walk our street - she is way different than the male dogs.

I've found most dogs will provide unconditional love. They are always there for you, seem to know your moods and how to comfort you when you are down. Maybe it's not that Loretta is female but just that she has her own unique personality. Whatever the case, she does seem to have a few "conditions" to her affection. All my male dogs have energetically met me at the door - tails wagging with some joyful yelps - unable to contain their joy of my return. And that's if I only took the trash can to the curb! Loretta did that too while Oscar was alive and even for several weeks after. But soon her own unique personality came out. She seems to be somewhat of a loner and likes things quiet and calm. After a few weeks she stopped meeting me at the door because she was fast asleep on her royal love seat when I arrived. She gets up and stretches - but she prefers I come to her for her greeting - which she gladly accepts with a lick and a wag of the tail.

All of my male dogs have sat with me while I watch TV as close as they could get. Sometimes I would have to schooch them down a bit so I could stretch out. Loretta needs to be invited to the couch where she happily gets some attention from me before the show starts. She might lay down for a bit but not close - she needs her space. She quickly gets bored and either wants to go outside or to the other room where she can sit in quiet. Sometimes she goes to bed and licks my pillow waiting for me. I go into the bedroom and invite her to join me again and after a little coaxing she happily does. Lately, as she has gotten to know and trust me more and seems to spend more time where I am - but always at a bit of a distance. If I were to fart she will give me that "look" and promptly leave the room. My male dogs always joined me in the farting and we all got a good laugh out of it.

Loretta likes to be told she is pretty and pet in a more gentle manor. She is more submissive and always want's her belly rubbed. She is good with children and always ready to meet someone new on the street. She accepts compliments on her beautiful blond hair and enjoys any attention she gets.

So Loretta is very different from my male dogs but not in a bad way. I've recently started calling her my Golden Girl and jokingly referred to her as my blond bitch. But my favorite nickname for her fits much better. Mi-Lady.

2 comments:

Thohea said...

But she doen't wear "the hat".

denbec said...

Only Oscar could wear "the hat". :) I miss that little dude.