Thursday, August 12, 2010

I Do Not Agree!

We need to get back to an era of accountability. I am tired of signing lengthy legal agreement forms every time I try to install software, get a procedure done at the dentist or even accept a job offer. Most of these documents start with a phrase indicating the document can change at any time without notice - which in effect renders them entirely useless to begin with.

If I'm installing a software program on my computer - I expect that it has been thoroughly tested and will not harm my system - or else I can have some legal recourse with the developers.

If I'm having a root canal operation done on my teeth, I expect that the Doctor is fully trained and certified and will operate to the best of their ability and if they fail to do so, I can hold them legally accountable.

If I start a new job, I do not expect to give up any and all rights to find a different job sometime in the future. I do, however, think it is fair to agree not to immediately work for a direct competitor, but it is grossly unfair to even imagine that the company I currently work for owns my ideas and inventions. Those are mine!

I am certain I am not the only person who is tired of all this legal nonsense. And I know I'm not the only one who has written about it. But what can we do?

Currently we only have one option to stop this insanity - but it would take a huge effort by the entire world. We need to stop blindly signing off on these idiotic agreements and subsequently not do business with companies who require them - even if it is free.

You need me to accept all terms in this agreement before I install this software? Sorry - no deal. No sale. No way. Imagine how that would affect Microsoft alone!

You want to own my ideas and inventions just because I work for you? Sorry - the job market is tough but I do NOT agree. But I am a very qualified and dependable employee - am I not worth hiring anyway?

You want me to sign away all my rights to legal recourse before you will start my root canal. Well it really hurts! What choice do I have? But if you mess it up - I'm still going to sue and the lawyer and judge should realize that document was signed under duress and is not binding.

Somehow I don't think I'll have much luck with any of this. But maybe we as a society can somehow get these agreements to be deemed unfair if not unconstitutional. We must fight back - in the courts if needed. There should always be an implied code of accountability to those who are doing business. Just like we expect that the food we buy at the grocery store will be free of contaminants - without having to first sign a waver, we should also expect all other goods and services be similarly accountable.

1 comment:

Thohea said...

I've always wondered.. why sign a contract if the contract says it could change at any time? I guess if nothing else it creates a job for somebody.