Friday, July 06, 2012

"Feels Like" Time

It's been really hot across most of the USA this week and the weather reporters are having a lot of fun telling us what the "feels like" temperature is. That's the way the air feels on our skin when we factor in the humidity - so if the air temperature is 87 degrees - they might say it feels like 92.

They ought to come up with some sort of a similar calculation for "Feels Like" time. Logically time ticks by at a very steady consistent pace - but it sure doesn't feel like it. I'm a pretty busy dude and usually live my life about 3 days into the future. That means I wake up with a list of things to accomplish today so that I can get to tomorrow's list which will take me into day 3. Theoretically by day 3 I should be all caught up - but somehow on day 2 I'm still living 3 days into the future - the list just keeps expanding. Plus, time feels like it is going by faster and faster every day. I'm told by some elderly friends that this just keeps getting worse as you age. It's really kind of weird.

Then - on a rare occasion as it did yesterday - time feels like it is running at normal speed. I look at the clock and think it must be 1:00pm - but it's really only noon. On the rare days when this happens - it seems to occur throughout the entire day. I still have lots of stuff to do - but I just seem to get it done - with time to spare. I like those days.

I think I've mentioned it before - I believe this "time moving fast" thing is actually a real and measurable phenomenon (da-due-da-do-do) but we just haven't determined how to measure it yet. If we somehow could then I guess we could calculate a "feels like" time and they could talk about it on the evening news. Time - after all - is a human invention. All Earth's creatures live their days by the rising and setting of the Sun (or in some cases the Moon) - but humans are the only creatures who try to "manage" time. We have to keep adjusting our time - sometimes by an hour, sometimes by a day and sometimes by only milliseconds just to make sure we are still on track. On track with what? We think we are pretty smart by tracking the movement of the Sun and Earth - but who is to say time is associated with our solar system? I think there is something larger guiding our time and that's why it does not seem consistent.

One thing is for sure, if they ever can calculate a "feels like" time, you can bet I will be on the beach on the days when the time feels slower and at work when time feels faster. It would be a very helpful index!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a stay-at-home wife, my days still go by too fast. Only when I worked 7:30-4 did the time drag. Beach days go by too fast too. One of those is coming up next week and I can't wait. Lake Michigan here I come!
Cheers, Denbec
Lisa

denbec said...

It just figures - on the morning after I write this my alarm clock doesn't go off and I over sleep 2 hours on a beach day! Now I'm rushing!!!

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Thankfully, our heat wave ended. Phew. 105 for 5 days was misery.

Hope you had a great day at the beach!
Cheers,
Lisa