Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Ten Dollars a Gallon?!

I'm not talking about gasoline folks - although I'm sure that's not far off. I'm more concerned with the price of laundry detergent. Why is it so expensive and rising all the time?! I'm not sure what the stuff is made of and probably don't want to know (protein gets out protein) but I'm fairly certain they make an obscene profit on it - even with the bargain brands.

Sun Screen is even worse! It is up to $10 for a few ounces - and rising quickly. What magic ingredient is so rare that it could cost that much to manufacture? Even the No-Ad and store brands are expensive.

Don't even get me started on ink cartridges for my printer! Now were talking $10 for a few drops! Who can afford it?! Not me - my printer has been out of ink for months and there is no hope in the immediate future of getting more.

I guess that's why I see so many luxury boats, cars, RV's and mansions down here in S. Florida. I have no problem with people making a modest profit on their goods and services but I think we are all paying way to much for basic necessities these days. When talking basic necessities we are talking millions of units sold daily. Can we please try to bring prices down to a reasonable level again? Thank you in advance.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gas in Europe is 10 bucks a gallon or close to it depending on which country you live in. And I was wondering the same thing about laundry soap so I'm in agreement with you. Are you a member of Costco? I reluctantly joined and realized later that they were a union shop, so I'm glad I did join. Unlike Walmart, they treat their employees well. Anywho, that's where I get my soap.

Lisa in Indy

denbec said...

I wish I did have a Costco membership. I used to enjoy shopping there. The quality of their products - especially their meats - were much better than any of the other warehouse stores. But for just one person I'm not sure I want to buy stuff in bulk like that. During Hurricane season I don't keep much frozen stuff in the house.

Anonymous said...

I know! Even for the two of us, sometimes, there are just too much product you have to buy to save. For example, I'm about out of paper towels. We don't use them often but they are great for spills and washing windows. They had a coupon offer to save some bucks but the package had 15 rolls of towels! I told hubby no way was I going to store 15 rolls for 3 yrs before I need to restock! Maybe if one of your friends could share the membership with you, it would be worth it. I like their produce. I got some asparagus last week that was fresh and tasty!

Lisa