Monday, April 16, 2012

I-95 Tolls = Double Taxation

They are about to begin installing express lanes on Interstate 95 through Broward County Florida where I live. While I am normally in favor of express lanes, these come at a price through fluctuating tolls. We have already paid for I-95 through taxes and any improvements should also be taxpayer funded with all citizens benefiting equally. Adding tolls to taxpayer funded roadways or bridges is double taxation. Not only that but the flexible tolls results in nothing less than class warfare. Why should the Executive who can afford a $7 toll during rush hour get to their meeting while an unemployed person will be late for their job interview because they don't have $7 for a toll?! That is grossly unfair.

The argument for the tolls states that everyone benefits because those that can afford the tolls ease traffic for everyone by getting them out of the non-toll lanes. Well that is true - but the same argument holds true even if there are no tolls. Drivers who will utilize the express lanes will still ease traffic for those in the non-express lanes. There really is no good justification for added tolls on a publicly funded roadway. It is a clear case of double taxation.

Somehow this got approved and already installed in Dade County (Miami). I commented on the news articles with my objections at the time the tolls were announced in Dade County but since I don't commute to Miami I felt it was a decision better left to those affected most. Now it's gotten personal. I use I-95 daily and expect to be able to use all lanes at any time without additional cost. So I am revolting against these tolls! I am doing research on how best to protest this but so far I'm not having much luck. If any readers have suggestions I would appreciate it.

Be warned - this will soon be happening throughout the USA. It has already been implemented in other states. We can't sit idly by in a traffic jam while the wealthy get to work on time.

Express Lanes - Yes!
Express Lane Tolls - NO!!!

REVOLT!

8 comments:

denbec said...

I changed the title of this article so it might get picked up properly in search engines.

Thohea said...

It's nice not having to use the(free)way.

denbec said...

I really enjoyed the last 2 years where I didn't have to use it every day. Now that our company moved I'm back on it again. I better not have to pay any tolls to get to work on time! And I can report that the Bermuda Triangle is alive and well.

Thohea said...

Haha, bermuda triangle. It took me a second to remember what that meant. It is most certainly a south florida phenomenon...do-Doo-do-do-doo.

Anonymous said...

Just think about how many commuters would take a TRAIN if there was one that existed!! The biggest problem in this country is that BIG OIL owns this country so we can't have any of those Trains to use. BIG OIL is the reason this country is vehicle-dependent! And just last week the Republicans voted against ending the subsidies to BIG OIL. You know where their loyalties lie.

Cheers,
Lisa in Indy

denbec said...

We have a local commuter train here called the Tri-Rail. However it only runs north and south and doesn't connect the downtown areas in Broward and Palm Beach counties. Most larger business have moved to the suburbs and there are no trains or even efficient buses running west. An east/west commuter train is currently being discussed but of course it is opposed by republicans who would rather use tax dollars for sports stadiums than public transportation.

Anonymous said...

I just don't get it denbec. The progress of this nation is being hamstrung by people that want to take this country in the wrong direction. I would love to see some progressive thinkers get some approval for things like trains that go east and west, like your North South trains. It just makes sense but with the population depending on vehicles, progress won't happen with regressive thinkers. Instead of being #1 in education or mobility, we are #1 in prison populations, infant mortality (well not exactly first but the momentum is going negative) and military expenditures. Our goals have been hijacked and I'm sadly disappointed.

Have a good Sunday.
Lisa

denbec said...

Just look up the term "conservative" with regard to politics. I think it sums them up pretty well. Resistant to change. It should also say backwards and static thinkers. However, I think we are on the verge of a more liberal (a better word to look up) nation with the baby boomers nearing the end of their lives. Unfortunately my life directly follows the baby boomers so I won't likely see the change - but it should be interesting.