Friday, November 05, 2010

Compassion Is Not a Republican Value

Most people remember the devastating earthquake that hit the island of Haiti last year. It was only one of many major natural and political disasters to hit this impoverished country in recent years. The people of this nation have been left penniless by government corruption and homeless by force of nature. I have many Haitian friends and I've been following this sad story for years now and it breaks my heart. As I write this a hurricane is adding more misery to this tiny nation. Many Americans share my heartbreak but some apparently don't have a heart at all. Here is a link to the story in USA Today and a few of the associated comments taken from just the first few pages. I want to note that many of these same screen names have been posting comments both pro-Christian and pro-Republican (My comments follow each).

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/storms/hurricanes/2010-11-05-hurricane-tomas_N.htm

LivFree (0 friends, send message) wrote: 10h 9m ago
Haiti doesn't want help. They want hand outs. This Hurricane will be like a giant, naturally occurring colonic.

Earthquakes, floods, hurricanes, Government corruption - the common people of Haiti did not ask for this. But they do need help.

Mister Grumpy (137 friends, send message) wrote: 5h 7m ago
Yet the Haitians continue to pump out children like there's not tomorrow............. and those that are old enough....... appear to be just waiting around waiting for a handout............ when they should be picking up the rubble................ These people are worse than helpless........... they are just plain lazy.................

Contrary to the belief that most Haitians believe in voodoo - most are Christians and many are Catholic. They are following the teaching of the Church - abundant life - procreation above all else. Birth control is not allowed. This is the result. And they are rebuilding - with what little resources they have to do so with.

rickp0000 (0 friends, send message) wrote: 4h 41m ago
cant say the idiots werent warned.....

Yes, they had plenty of warning a storm was eminent. Where would you suggest they go? What do you suggest they do? They are living in TENTS (if they are lucky). They are penniless and homeless. Can you try to understand that?

lunchtimereader (0 friends, send message) wrote: 2h 15m ago
A lot of $ has been sent there for decades, yet, there is no progress.
Just more of the same.

This is somewhat true. Corruption in the govenrment continues at the expense of the common people. This country needs more than just money - but it's easier to just turn our backs to their calamity.


Mister Grumpy (137 friends, send message) wrote: 1h 49m ago
Horaceofcourse (0 friends, send message) wrote: 1h 25m ago
Somebody has to do something to help these people...put them to work rebuilding their country.
I don't have any great ideas...may God have mercy on them.
=============
God is showing them mercy............ Tomas is only a Cat 1 storm.............

I repeat - they are living in TENTS (if they are lucky). I've been through several Cat 1 storms here in Florida and they are frightening in a brick shelter - let alone a tent. But the most damage from a storm like this isn't wind - it is flooding rain. They are on the wet side of the storm. Floods are also not the fault of the people living there.

These type of comments go on and on. There is a total lack of compassion which I dare say is a core value of the Republican party and many so called Christians. If it isn't happening to ME right NOW then it doesn't apply and THEY likely deserve it.

Very sad indeed.

5 comments:

Andre said...

Rush was right again!

He said that the Liberals would be going completely insane after the humiliating defeat they suffered on Tuesday. Lacking any capacity for critical self reflection, and ideologically unable to learn from failure, they would instead only increase the level and viscousness of their rhetoric. Like little children throwing a temper tantrum they would begin to lash out blindly in their rage, in all directions.

I must say though, with all due understanding and charity for your understandable disappointment and frustration over the results of Tuesday's elections, exploiting the sufferings of the Haitian people in an attempt to score some cheap political points, is more than tacky...it's really rather despicable.

I'm disappointed that you would sink to such a low level. Using some cherry picked comments from a few idiots to slander millions of people is beyond stupid; it is willfully ignorant and cruel.

I knew that you were a bitter, angry man...but I didn't realize until now how truly consumed by hatred you are. That is very sad.

I am sorry about that, and I am sorry for all the wounds to your heart and soul that have made you this way. I can only speculate how much of that must have come from the difficulties of growing up gay and the torments that inflicted on you (as some of your earlier posts have referred to). I know that I can never know what you suffered, so I'll stop my amateur street corner psycho-analysis, and just offer you some unsolicited advice: go to Confession; ask God to forgive your sins ( for you are still a free moral agent, and thus responsible for your failings, regardless of any injustices you have suffered), and ask him for healing ( and while you're there, if you think of it, put in a good word for me and my healing too).

You are in my prayers,

-A

denbec said...

Andre -I knew this one would get you - because you know it's true. Go to the article and see how I cherry picked those comments. This is not the first time I have seen this in articles on Haiti - it happens EVERY time. The hatred and lack of compassion astounds me.

And I see your hatred of homosexuals has finally come shining through. You've been dancing around that for a long time now. You and your party have no respect or compassion for anyone different than yourselves.

Thohea said...

Geez!

Andre said...

Oh my, you really have gone off the deep end, haven't you?

"hatred of homosexuals"?

What could you possibly be talking about?

Have you treally become that unhinged? Has the shock of Tuesday so rattled you that you have lost the ability to think clearly at all? Have you lost the ability to even read clearly?

You have become completely irrational.
( I'm am seriously starting to get worried about you).

Take a deep breath. Everythings going to be OK.

denbec said...

Andre - I'm not going to further your rants on this one - it's all quite clear. But I'm still chuckling over your Rush comment. So he figured I might be a bit upset that the Republicans have come back to get the rest of my 401k - Brilliant!