Monday, October 04, 2010

The Escape Artist Completes His Mission

"Escape Artist" was just one of the many names he was known by. He was also called "Ghetto Dog", "Buddy", "Kiddo", "The Oscar Meyer Wiener Dog" or just by his name "Oscar". He was all of those things to me and more.

He lived like a King in my home but from the first day he arrived he began searching for a way out. He dug holes under the fence, He carefully watched, hoping I might forget to close the gate, or he might try to sneak past the guests saying goodnight at the front door. I went through great lengths to fortify the yard, gates and exits to keep him from getting out. But every once in a while - several times a year - he managed to find the briefest opportunity to get out and when he did he went fast! He wasn't trying to get away from me - he just wanted to explore the world - much like I do. In fact, I'm certain that's how he ended up in the abandoned animal shelter to begin with - he just wanted to roam. Thankfully, through prayers, tags, and microchips I was always able to retrieve him and he managed not to get run over.

He was likely 6 years old when I adopted him and we spent 7 or 8 happy years together. That would make him in his late 90's in dog years. Despite his desire to roam, Oscar was a great buddy. He insisted his place to sleep was under the covers in my bed - right next to me under my arm. At one point he was expelled from the bed by someone else who had joined me. That situation was not well received as everyone knows a footstool is no place for a King to sleep. But the other party was temporary and he soon regained his place next to me. I always enjoyed his company and even the fur covered sheets.

Short in stature but big in voice - Oscar was always on duty guarding La Casa de Tropical. My arrival at the house was never unannounced as was the arrival of any guest. A spray bottle of water (or maybe just the threat) might be needed to calm his enthusiasm - after all it is very exciting to have guests! And oh the joyful sound one makes when it's time to take a walk! All the neighbors must be aware.

Oscar was diagnosed with kidney failure some months ago and spent most of this year on constant medication to treat his persistent infections. Funny how a strong bond between two soles becomes stronger when dealing with life's issues. But his condition was terminal and his infections more intense. It was time for me to help with his master plan to escape. Knowing the day is inevitable makes it no easier and so with heavy heart I left the Vet knowing there will be an empty spot in my bed tonight. But the empty spot in my heart won't last long knowing that Oscar and Astro are running together again with no boundaries or barriers - no more need to escape.

5 comments:

Andre said...

Sorry to hear about Oscar..sounds like he was quite a character!

It also sounds like he had a good long life in a nice home (at least for the second, longer part of his life) where he felt much loved...who could ask for anything more?

denbec said...

Thanks Andre - I appreciate that. Dogs are amazing companions - each so individual with unique personalities. Oscar was indeed quite a character - a big presence in a little package.

Thohea said...

Awww. Dead at the senseless age of 98. Who will wear the hat now?

Truly the end of an era - Astro, Max and now Oscar. Will Lo-rre-ta be getting a new playmate soon?

denbec said...

Thohea - I doubt any creature could wear the hat like Oscar did. :)

As for Lo-rre-ta, I think she is somewhat of a lone and might enjoy being an only child. If I notice she seems lonely then I might consider adopting another one, but my finances are such that I wouldn't want to adopt another animal unless I could afford to care for it properly.

denbec said...
This comment has been removed by the author.