Friday, September 03, 2010

Universal Holiday?

Finally - a holiday weekend where I can relax on the beach and not feel guilty! I hope the weather is nice because there is no need to worry that maybe I should be attending a church service, or hosting a huge meal, or attending a parade, or visiting a grave, or saluting a soldier. Labor day is one of the only holidays that applies to almost everyone!

Ever say Happy 4th of July to someone and have them reply "I'm British"?
Ever wish someone a Merry Christmas only to have them reply "I'm Jewish"
Ever wish someone a Happy New Year only to have them reply "I'm Chinese"?
Ever wish someone a Happy Memorial Day and then just feel bad because it's really not a happy Holiday? And it's sort of a Military Holiday anyway - might not apply to everyone.

My only disappointment with Labor Day is that many businesses will still be operating all weekend long. We do live in a 24hr, 365 day society after all. But wouldn't it be great if every business except the real necessities shut down for just one day? It's Labor Day for crying out loud!

Uh oh, if I wish someone in our call center a Happy Labor Day they might reply "I have to work".

No Holiday is safe.

No comments: