Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Stop the Bike

I have avoided writing this article for years because it will likely come across as racist. I assure you - it is nothing more than an observation.

I am fortunate to live in a very diverse neighborhood. We have people from many different cultures living together in relative harmony. Most follow the rules - but some don't. One problem in particular are the rules of riding a bicycle. Some folks just can't seem to stop their bicycle - no matter what. When they near a busy intersection, they either just roll right through - without a look in either direction - or, if they happen to notice a car coming, they simply make a quick right turn until the car swerves to miss them and then continue on. These are not just children mind you and most are young adults. It is a game to them - a dangerous game. I am honestly amazed more of them don't get hit by cars as I have very narrowly missed them on many occasions and I am a very careful driver and a bicyclist.

Where do they learn this behavior and why doesn't anyone in that culture do anything to curb it? I am totally stumped. I would love nothing more than to have someone from this culture (you know who you are) explain to me why people do this and better yet, what can be done to get people to stop their bikes and look for traffic before crossing a busy street. Many people bend the bicycle road rules, myself included, but I would never ride out into traffic without even looking - few people would! But some do and I want to know why.

UPDATE: Last night as I drove home from work shortly after midnight, I was driving down this very street I referenced above. Suddenly a guy on a bicycle going about 10mph darts out into the street without a look or pause - in fact he was riding without his hands on the handlebars where the brakes are. No lights, No hands, No brakes, No brains.

No comments: