Thursday, December 24, 2009

I woke up some old people

Today I decided to make a Christmas Eve visit to a dear older friend who is recovering from a fall in a local convalescent home. I accidentally tried to enter through the wrong door and set off the alarm. Folks were screaming and hollering at the loud noise. If there was a sign warning of the alarm - I didn't see it. The nurses and some of the residents laughed it off but I still felt terrible.

Because of my error, at least the residents were awake this time. I was very saddend by my visit several days earlier. Let me start by saying this is a very well run, and clean facility as far as I could see, but it is also a large facility and I was concerned by all the folks who were sleeping in their wheel chairs - mid roll - in the hallways. They were dressed, clean, had their makeup on and they were clearly going somewhere - until they fell off to sleep. I can only imagine this can be blamed on over medication. People don't just fall asleep like that - even if they are elderly. I'm not trying to point fingers at the resident's Doctors or anyone at the facility - I just think we have an issue in the USA where people are taking so many pills that they can't even function. Its sad.

The "Golden Years" should be spent sharing a life full of experiences with Grandchildren, friends, or even just other residents of a center. The friend I was visiting is somewhat of a legend in this area. I enjoy taking him to lunch on occasion where he shares stories of famous people he has met in his life. But even he was a bit "dazzed" from his medications at the center.

I wish I had an answer on how to "fix" this problem but sadly I don't. Suggestions?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AMEN

TG GRANNY