Tuesday, December 13, 2005

A Life Of Death

Today the state of California executed Stanley Tookie Williams after over 20 years on Death Row. His execution is surrounded by controversy and rightly so. But I'm not going to comment on his guilt or weather he was rehabilitated or not. Rather I'd like to comment on the length of time he spent with a sentence of death on his head.

As I've said before, I do not support capital punishment - but if our laws support it why should it take so long? It makes sense to me that no one should be sentenced to death unless they are absolutely, 100% without-a-doubt guilty. In that case, it seems inhumane to keep a person waiting over 20 years for that eminent execution to occur. In my opinion, once the sentence of death is given - it should occur with 24 hours.

No comments: