Wednesday, September 14, 2005

The List

We've all seen it posted on businesses, inside our employee handbooks and many other places:

"We do not discriminate based on Age, Race, Sex, Handicap, etc. etc." and bla bla bla

Each of these groups has fought long and hard to earn a spot on this list - and well they should have. Each is a very important protection. One of the current groups trying to get on this growing list , and one that is certainly close to home for me is "Sexual Orientation". Oh yes, I believe that sexual orientation should be protected because I believe in equal rights for everyone. And that is why I think the list itself presents a problem.

Equal rights for everyone should be a fairly simple concept. Why do we have this list that shows which groups are protected? In my opinion, every person should be protected from discrimination - Period. If you can prove in a court of law that you were discriminated against, you should be protected from this injustice. If I got fired from my long term job because my boss found out I'm gay - and I can prove it, should a Judge refuse this protection because my particular discrimination does not appear on the accepted list? I think not.

In my opinion, the list is not necessary. Furthermore, I believe the list itself creates a type of discrimination. That line in your employee handbook should simply say "We do not discriminate." Lets lose the list.

No comments: