Monday, October 31, 2011

Greed In 2D

So I finally got the 3D TV I wanted for so long. It's fantastic - except for the lack of content. DirecTV has several channels dedicated to 3D content and I've been enjoying some of the nature and space documentaries. But I want to see some of the fantastic 3D movies that have been in the theaters over the last several years.

Sorry. Those are not available. I've searched all the streaming services that my TV connects to (including Amazon, Netflix, Blockbuster, and Vudu) but there are only a handful of 3D movies. And those that are available are to "Own" not to rent. I refuse to pay $25 for a streamed movie! Especially when the service it is streamed on may not be in business another month.

So what's the deal? The deal is that there is no deal. It seems that there are a lot of debates going on over digital media rights and who owns what and what they want to let out and who can show it and what can be charged and bla bla bla! I just want to watch Avatar in 3D in my home - is that too much to ask? The movie is two years old already and still no streaming service has it for rent.

Greed. Here I am willing to pay for streaming movies and there are none available. This is not the free market. If there is a demand there should be a product available. Clearly there is a demand - yet there is no product. They would rather I not watch their movie? Why bother making it?!

So I went back to watching content already included with my DirecTV subscription. They lost my sale - I hope they are happy. I'm not. I waited a long time for my 3D TV. How long do I have to wait to be able to enjoy it?

9 comments:

Andre said...

Poor flower.

Life is so hard for the impoverished "99%" in Tea Party Amerika.

I bet the 1% have no problem getting their 3D content, those bastards...probably using bail-out and Bush tax cut money to get it too!

denbec said...

I resent that Andre. I waited years - literally years - for an HD TV and mowed a lot of lawns to get it. I am a hard working American (spelled correctly) who works hard and spends wisely. I AM the 99%

Anonymous said...

We have one tv that is 13" from waaaay back...and another HD one we bought when we moved back from Germany 2 yrs ago. Hubby wanted to get another and a 3D one to boot too. I talked him out of it for the reasons you mentioned in this post. We'll get another one around thanksgiving when they go on sale but it won't be 3D. Just HD.

I hope you don't have to wait long to be able to use that extra feature.

Lisa

denbec said...

I'd like to get a Blueray player but that's another $200. Oddly, a Blueray player that is just normal HD without the 3D label is only $100. They are the exact same piece of technology. I think physical disks are quickly being replaced by streaming services anyway - if only they would have the content.

Andre said...

Joking...just yanking your chain.

BTW: I couldn't help but wonder if the content mentioned in your post before this one ("Minced Words")might not also be available in 3D?

That would be interesting.

denbec said...

It would be interesting indeed! And yes, it is available - but it is expensive and I'm not about to spend my lawn mowing money on it.

BTW - I modified that post just a bit. Thought it was a little too much TMI for a family show. ;)

Andre said...

Chuckle at my ignorance if you must, but what is "TMI"?

denbec said...

Too Much Information.

Andre said...

Duh...