Friday, May 13, 2011

ONE Down

Over the last 2 weeks I've been reading and watching in amazement all the discussion about the death of Osama Bin Laden. In this age of 24 hour news - or rather trying to fill 24 hours with news - it has been quite interesting all the topics, judgments, and stupidity that have come up. My short answer to all this is to just stop and think how you felt the very first minute you heard of his death. In that minute did you question if the procedure was legal, fair, justified etc. In that minute you know what you believe. If you can't remember that minute - try reflecting on the very first minute you saw the planes hit the towers on 9/11. That should clear things up for you nicely.

Now, I would like to give my props out to President Obama on this accomplishment. I want to focus my attention on how this was accomplished. One thing that hasn't been disputed in the news coverage and on-going discussion is the fact that this mission was very carefully planned over months, with contingency plans for any possible outcome, and the mission was executed precisely by our brave soldiers. The important point I want to make is that ONE person was killed in this mission. One. The target. Through careful planning and strategic execution no innocent civilian lives were lost. None.

I think that is a much better approach than "Shock and Awe".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're right Den. I was happy to hear that he was dead and actually laughed out loud that the announcement interrupted that carnival barker's show. Strategy!
I have read Michael Moore's blog and I agree with his opinion after the fact, but as you pointed out, one's initial reaction should be the end-of-it.
Great point.
Have a great weekend!
Lisa in Indy