Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Stepping Out

I started this blog some years ago during the Bush administration as a way to vent my frustrations on the direction the so called conservatives were taking this country. Since then whenever something makes me really angry I make a point to log on and write about it. I never really expected this blog to be read and was even a bit surprised when I received a few comments on my articles by a couple of readers. Writing the articles does sometimes help me feel better - vented if you will - and knowing at least someone reads it helps too, but I'm now realizing that venting isn't accomplishing anything. Myself and many other "middle of the road" and left wing blog writers can type away all day long and nothing will ever get changed.

The recent peaceful protests in Egypt over the last few weeks and the massive change they were able to accomplish were awe inspiring. The movement may have been started by social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter - but if the protesters had stayed at home and wrote blog articles about their frustrations I doubt we would have seen any change at all.

Guess who else figured this all out way before me - the Tea Party. Since the last presidential election we have seen a constant array of LOUD protests from this extremist group. They've had town hall meetings protesting health care reform (some toting visible guns), protests on Washington and a constant stream of their obnoxious political figures marching across my TV and Internet screens. They have created controversy using very inappropriate graphics and statements thus launching more media coverage of their agenda. The point is we have definitely seen them and heard them. And so did the voters in the last election.

I haven't made a New Years resolution yet this year so I'm going to make one now. I plan to step beyond this blog and out into the streets whenever and however I can to help get the Democratic point of view heard as well. I urge other liberal blog writers to do the same. I strongly believe that there are more Democrats than Republicans in this country but you wouldn't know it by watching TV. It's not that the Democrats have been complacent, it's that we have been ineffective. We need to get out and be seen!

We need to start these protests on our local level. Many states have newly elected Tea Party Governors and Senators. Most of those states already have new legislation against same sex marriage, health care reform, needed social programs and may other outrages. We need to get out in front of those state capitals or even the local courthouse and make a statement! I will begin to do some research on ways to do this in an effective and visible manor and report back with my findings.

We cannot wait until we end up with a Tea Party President to start our protests - we need to start now before it is too late! Let's Go!

No comments: