Wednesday, February 09, 2011

The Conservative Party is Anything But

It strikes me as the ultimate hypocrisy that Republicans have become known as the "Conservative" party. They certainly don't act the part.

I'm a conservative. I shut lights off when I leave the room, I use water very sparingly, I drive a fuel efficient car, I ride my bicycle whenever possible, my thermostat in my home is set at 77 for hot weather and 65 for cold weather, I recycle and I used to be in a carpool when I had a long commute. On a global level I believe we need to conserve the Earth's natural resources knowing that everything we have on this planet is limited. I believe in protecting the environment from contamination, pollution and over-use. I believe in protecting wildlife and endangered species knowing you can never bring them back once they are gone. I also have conservative fiscal views knowing that if I take more than my share someone else will go without.

Conservatism means taking only what you need. Waste not - want not. Sharing with others. Protecting our limited resources.

Republicans are NOT conservative.

The policies of the GOP show little respect for the environment. They are against any sort of pollution control. They don't believe in scientifically proven facts on climate change, endangered wildlife, or the effects on human interaction with the earth's fragile environments. Their policies reflect an attitude of use it up - wear it out. They drive huge wasteful vehicles, tear up natural habitats with ATV vehicles, and drill baby drill! They will move to a desert and use limited water to have a lush green lawn. When it comes to fiscal policy, they are even worse. They try to keep the government from receiving funds so they then horde all the money for themselves leaving others to live lives in poverty. These are not conservative values. These are wasteful values.

I don't think the GOP or the Tea Party folks should be allowed to be called conservative. We need a better word for them. Something like Right Wing Caviler

You know what? Lets get rid of that word Right too because they are very wrong.

No comments: