Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas Miracles

I was raised Catholic and have always been a very spiritual person. In my college years back in South Dakota I was the one reminding people that "Jesus is the reason for the Season." The commercialization of the Holidays always bothered me. But as I traveled, read, learned, and moved to a larger city, I discovered that I am Christian simply by the fact that I was born into a Christian family. The reality is that there are many other religious beliefs and customs in the world and none are less important than those taught to me.

I'm a logical thinker and when I hear the story of the Nativity, it sets off a lot of questions in my head because there are some big logical gaps. Did the Inn not let a couple with a baby stay even days later when the Wise Men arrived? Is it possible the bright star in the east was really just the planet Venus? The immaculate conception, the miracles - all of it is not very logical at all. But these questions did not make my faith diminish - in fact I feel more connected with God than I ever have before. How is it possible?

It is possible because God is beyond Logic. I believe miracles are possible because God is larger than we are and not bound by our laws of physics, time and space. I still don't have all the answers and I never will - but I'm thankful that I've allowed myself to realize that part of the miracle of God is that everyone's individual beliefs - no matter how different - can all be correct at the same time.

Since I was raised Catholic - I want to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas! Please accept it in whatever faith is in your heart - even if you feel you have none. May the miracle of Christmas bring joy to the world and peace on Earth.

1 comment:

Andre said...

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

I thought this was cute:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sghwe4TYY18&feature=player_embedded


and this was very inspiring, I especially liked the reactions at the end of the secular news reporters:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsOgpgQXcgQ&feature=player_embedded

-A