Friday, February 19, 2010

Should we bomb Austin?

A man from Austin, TX flew his small airplane into the IRS building because he was mad at them. Should we drop a bunch of bombs on Austin to prevent it from happening again. Of course not. It won't solve anything there like it didn't solve anything in Afghanistan (or Iraq).

Granted - I realize this was likely a solo act and the dude died in the crash so not much chance of a repeat from him. But my point is this: an act of an individual - or even a group of people - does not represent the feelings of the entire region. And dropping bombs on an entire region won't likely kill all of the people who MAY be involved. However, it will kill or seriously injure many innocents who would have never been involved.

Dropping bombs is never the answer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Dropping bombs is never the answer."

Hmm...not sure that is true. I could maybe agree that it is "rarely" the answer, but until you can give me a reasonable strategy of how we might have stopped Hitler without dropping bombs (and yes, killing innocent people in the process) then I don't think you can say "never".

It's a tough one.

denbec said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
denbec said...

You are correct - "never" was a poor choice of words - it is hardly ever a correct word to use (see? I didn't use it again!).

History has proven that bombs do work on occasion to achieve a goal (at an enormous cost to innocent human lives). I'm not even going to argue your valid point except to reiterate that I think there is usually another way. ("Always" isn't typically a good word either.)

Hmmm - I just learned you can't edit a posted comment. Had to delete a post just to remove an extra "a". LOL