Saturday, October 17, 2009

Cross Referenced - Part 2

In part 1 of this series, we learned that powerful data warehousing computers are collecting data about our private lives from the minute we wake up in the morning and check our email, to a numerous security cameras snapping our pictures throughout the day, to where we travel, what we buy and finally what TV shows we are watching. It is all cross referenced with our Facebook, Twitter and other social networking accounts and even our jobs in an effort to provide targeted advertising. All this data collection is big business in the trillions of dollars and for the most part it is harmless and maybe even beneficial to our society - until something goes wrong.

But what could go wrong? You live your life honestly, pay your bills on time and mind your own business. Well let me explain how easily it is for something to go wrong and how extremely difficult or impossible it is to fix.

I don't even know where to begin - the possibilities for personal disaster are so numerous. Lets start with something simple. Why do I, as a single male, get email advertisements for breast enlargement? Shouldn't all this targeted advertising keep that from happening? What likely happened is that I bought yogurt or some other item deemed a woman's product at the grocery store and used that little scan card that cross referenced back to my name and address. Now suddenly I might actually be a woman. OK - big deal, I can delete that email with a snicker - no harm done. Its kind of funny really, if you take one letter out of my name it could even be a common woman's name.

Later that day I'm on the phone crossing the street and a security camera snaps a picture of me which isn't particularly clear. Somewhere in the world an alarm shows up because someone of importance has just been identified by the face recognition software used on that camera. Computers are churning, files are accessed, reports are filed and I am suddenly in big trouble. What just happened? Well it seems Denise had some big financial problems for a while now and is in trouble with the IRS and several other big financial institutions. But what does that have to do with me? My name is Dennis - a man with no credit issues. Not according to the data which shows very clearly that I am a woman - after all I do watch a lot of TV programs on the Lifetime channel. My cell phone number (based on my location) now gets cross referenced with Denise. Computers continue to churn and within seconds all of my information is cross referenced with Denise including my address and (gulp) social security number. A blip shows up on the IRS computer indicating a conflict of 2 social security numbers so a person or computer makes a decision on which is the correct number using other information in the account - but they choose the wrong one. By the time I finish crossing the street and go into the store to make a purchase, my credit card is already flagged and disabled. The credit nightmare begins.

Maybe it sounds a bit far fetched - like a science fiction movie staring Tom Cruise (and I realize this hypothetical story has a few "holes" in it). But folks - sadly this type scenario is entirely possible with this dangerous practice of data warehousing. It takes only one small piece of incorrect information to immediately change who you are in your computer profile. In the hypothetical scenario above I may have received a notice from the IRS and after a bit of explaining and verifying of data they would have fixed their records and all would be well.

Not so fast! Don't forget that this incorrect information was transferred to hundreds or maybe even thousands of other computers and databases. Just like a computer virus, erroneous information gets copied from computer to computer faster than the speed of sound. Fix it on one system and that still leaves thousands with incorrect information. This type of situation would likely haunt both me and Denise for the rest of our lives, interfering with credit or even just setting up a web page for a business. It is a nightmare that has already happened to many good people. In fact in this article I wrote just days ago I explain how this cross referencing of data has virtually disabled my home telephone.

So what can we do about it? Continue on to part 3 in this series.

No comments: