Monday, February 16, 2009

My TV Sukz Monkey Butt

Feb 17th approaches tomorrow and some over-the-air TV broadcast stations will start to disappear eith rest to follow shortly for folks with older TV sets. I have a tiny Casio TV that I have used at work for probably 10 years - just to watch the evening news and for Hurricane updates when needed. Soon it will be useless, so I went out and got a very cool USB device that brings digital TV right to my PC. Reception inside this building is not great at best but the digital picture is fantastic - when it works.

The problem is that with digital TV - the picture is "all or nothing". Most of the time it is perfect, beautiful and sometimes even in High Definition! But, quite often it just - stops. When I was watching the tiny TV and the picture wasn't perfect - at least I could still follow the program with the fuzzy sound and picture. Now I get nothing. I can't tell you how much more irritating it is to have the picture and sound just stop until the signal is restored. It really gives me a headache.

Poor me - right? I get a headache while trying to watch TV at work. Well yes, I am irritated, but I'm not worried about myself - in fact, we have a TV in our data center that I could watch too - I just can't see it from my desk. The real problem is with all the people who are watching over-the-air broadcasts because they don't have enough money to afford cable or satellite TV. Now, not only are they being forced to buy new equipment to get what they had before, they will also have to deal with the blank screen and headache that goes with it.

While I don't think they should extend the deadline again (it only causes confusion) I strongly believe that it is way too early for this transition to be forced on people - and I'm thinking by at least a decade. When color TV came out - folks still had the option to use their black and white sets if they couldn't afford a color one - and some are still using them. This transition is for one reason only - to open the airwaves for other (more profitable) uses. The poor are the only ones really affected by this change. Tell me how that is fair - or even ethical.

No comments: