Thursday, October 27, 2005

Some Hurricane Wilma questions from my sister and answers

Sisters questions:

Oh boy, thanks for the update, those trees look really bad! That would definitely be hard to wait 4 hours for ice -- I can't even imagine.. . Wasn't that a Category 3 by the time it got to you? I thought the others were much higher, but it seems like this one did more damage. Things are probably just getting worn down with all the thrashing they've taken this year. You must have electric at work huh? Why don't you just bring a cot in and stay there -- if you're being forced to work anyway -- just a thought.

Love You!

Glad to hear you're hanging in there! Mom said you could always move back in with her :-)

Answer:

There is some debate about how strong the storm was here but the general consensus is that it was a Cat 3 when it went over us. Katrina and Rita were both Cat. 1 storms when they hit us but were much stronger in the gulf coast. I hope I never see a cat 4 or 5. This one was very scary.

We are on generator power here at work. No AC and our building had extensive roof damage so the carpets are wet in most of the building. They have the doors open to try to dry them out. We have minimal lighting etc. but at least we have the Internet!

After we got the mess cleaned up around the house it's actually been not too uncomfortable for us since we have cool weather and a gas grill with a side burner - a wise purchase I made this spring. We've been eating all the food that was in the freezer so we have been eating pretty good. But most of that is gone now. Some stores are open now so that won't be a problem any more. Gas lines, however, are a big problem. Lines are miles long and cars are running out of gas waiting in line (no electricity to pump the gas). I have about 2 days worth left (I filled up before the storm) so I'm hoping to get some out here in Coral Springs where where I work. They have power restored out here to some parts because the power lines are underground. My roommate was actually able to find ice and food rations before I even got up this morning. That saved me a lot of time today. Looks like them Bush folks are finally getting their act together. We have another one of them as our governor you know.

I actually wouldn't mind moving back in with Mom, except the cold and total lack of gay folk. LOL I'm attaching a couple of pictures that were in the newspaper.

No comments: