Thursday, November 08, 2012

Awesome Election!

The election is over (almost - Floriduh!) and it was a nail biter for sure!  I've been watching this past election very closely with both anticipation and entertainment for at least the last 2 years.  It was the best reality show on TV and the good news is that it had a happy ending.

Shortly after the election in 2010 I wrote about the Political Tsunami I felt was building behind the Tea Party quake of that year. I just read through that article and I was pretty much right on track.  The political tsunami indeed did happen - but it was not totally what I had imagined.  I expected a landslide win for Obama and it was - but much closer than I thought.  The big surprise for me was the other historical liberal "firsts" that happened this year including:
  • Gay marriage approved in 2 states by popular vote
  • Marijuana legalized in 2 states by popular vote - and not just for medicinal purposes
  • The first openly gay person voted into the Senate
  • And many more as reported by this Washington Post article
These are all seismic changes in the political spectrum and they can't be ignored.  It is also clear in this election that the minority vote - especially when combined with gay and women's issues are a force against conservatism in this country.

Needless to say I am thrilled with the results of 2012 - but it will likely be short lived.  It is a fact that there are far more registered Democratic voters than Republican voters and we should be able to win most elections.  But the sad truth is that many Democrats do not vote in mid-term elections like the one in 2010 and the GOP takes full advantage if that complacency.  Hopefully we can keep the momentum of this year going into 2014 and get more Democrats out to vote.  We didn't take control of the House this year - and in a way I'm glad because at this point I believe we need that balance.  We are already seeing - the House sticking by their same old "no compromise" attitude.  That should also help in possibly getting the House control back in 2014.  A new prediction?  Perhaps.  :) 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I watched the election on CNN and flipped to FOX when it was becoming clear that Ohio was going to Obama and that Florida was too close to call. I watched how the anchors and pundits' moods changed as their 4 year smear of President Obama and his administration was coming to an end - an end they weren't expecting. I watched on live tv as Karl Rove had a meltdown, threw a tantrum and went head to head with FOX News officials over whether or not it was too early to call Ohio. It was like watching my 4 year old nephew throw a fit because his toy train wouldn't light up anymore. Bill Maher immediately came to mind, with his "in the bubble" characterizations of republicans. It also had me thinking, "Did Karl know something the rest of us didn't?" I mean his Super PAC spent something like $300 million in this election, so was he expecting a "favor" to be returned, perhaps? - thohea

denbec said...

I have to admit - while it seems perhaps a conspiracy theory - Karl Rove's reluctance to call the election despite clear evidence it was going to Obama was suspect. What possible reason could he have had to keep the lie going even when his own news team accused him of partisan twisted facts? Whatever the reason, he looked pretty silly and should never be regarded as trustworthy.