Wednesday, January 19, 2011

There is no larger group than "Everyone"

The Republicans with their lack of compassion for those less fortunate are up to their mission to deny health coverage to millions of Americans. I guess I'll have to let those on the Hill debate all that but I have a question about the health insurance business:

Why do you offer reduced rates and better coverage for larger groups while denying smaller groups coverage due to increased risk?

It seems logical - to me anyway - to group ALL of your members into one large pool - no matter where they work and offer everyone the same rates and coverage. Putting everyone into one large group spreads the risk across a very large population - isn't that what they typically want?

Using this approach is the very reason why a Public Option in our health care reform would allow less expensive policies - because of the risk being spread among a large group. Why can't private insurance companies operate the same way?

If private insurance companies grouped all their members together, then a company with just a few employees would be able to get the same rates and coverage as the large company who are insured by the provider. Actually, individuals would also be able to purchase the same policy. Why can't it work that way?

2 comments:

Andre said...

Hey, everything OK?

You've been posting less lately (no shortage of topical stories to comment on).

Too busy?

You alright?

I guess I miss you (OMG, that sounds sooo gay!)

denbec said...

Thanks for checking on me Andre! I'm fine but I have been extra busy.

I also chose not to post any articles or comments on the tragic terrorist shooting in Arizona. There isn't much I can say that hasn't already been said - over and over and over and over and over...........