Thursday, June 03, 2010

The Irritating Grid

Two weeks ago I pre-ordered an HTC Evo phone from Sprint (I'm not going to provide a hyperlink because I'm mad) and tomorrow is the day it would be available. I'm a tech geek and fancy new gadgets like this make me very excited and it was time to upgrade my phone so this was it! But Sprint has decided to add a lot of extra unavoidable fees on top of the normal phone and data plan I'm already paying - who can afford all that? Not me - I won't be picking up my Evo.

This is a big mistake for Sprint in my opinion. Here they had the first real possible i-Phone killer (even with the new i-Phone about to launch) and MANY very unhappy AT&T customers just aching to get away from AT&T. Rather than lure them in with a great new device at an affordable price they will brush them off with extra fees. The new i-Phone will be available on Verizon - that's where the AT&T folks will likely go now. Too bad for Sprint.

When I was debating on splurging on a new smart phone, I was torn. I told myself if I decide not to get this device then I might just jump off the technology bandwagon all together. All this new technology available today is very exciting for someone like me but it is getting very frustrating as well. I'm beginning to feel like my life is just one giant subscription that eats away every single bit of my available income leaving me scratching for enough money to buy food. On top of that the constant bombardment of text messages, phone calls, Facebook updates, advertisements, pin numbers, constantly changing passwords and fraud schemes has begun to make me a very irritable person. I'm irritated just writing that sentence! So while part of me wants the latest and greatest gadget, another part of me just wants to turn it all off, cancel all the subscriptions, pay my bills by cash and just fall off "the grid". Honestly, that is a very real possibility for me at this point - I do still have that nice touring bicycle to take me away into the wilderness.

I haven't made the decision yet whether to keep moving forward or take a giant step back so for now I'll just keep using my outdated technology (heck - it still works) and pay the subscriptions I currently am forced to while somehow trying to keep my head above water. If I decide to jump off "the grid", you will probably hear about it here first - and probably last at the same time.

1 comment:

Thohea said...

I'm tellin ya, Verizon is the way to go!